HOT SPRINGS NATIONAL PARK, Arkansas — A full weekend for fans is on tap August 26 – 27 for the Fifth Annual Hot Springs Baseball Weekend at the Convention Center.
Created as a way to celebrate Hot Springs’ status as The Birthplace of Major League Baseball Spring Training, the weekend will feature the Arkansas premiere of the documentary film, “Facing Nolan,” as well as a chance for fans to interact with four baseball legends, plus a major baseball card show.
The featured guests will be Dale Murphy, Chris Chambliss, Goose Gossage and Al “The Mad Hungarian” Hrabosky.
“This is shaping up to be the best Baseball Weekend to date,” Visit Hot Springs CEO Stave Arrison said Tuesday. “In addition to our traditional lineup of baseball greats, we’re opening the weekend with a showing of ‘Facing Nolan,’ an acclaimed documentary about Nolan Ryan, told through the eyes of players who had the unenviable task for facing Ryan’s fiery fastball. This will be the Arkansas premiere of the movie.
“We’re expecting a pretty good-sized turnout for the movie, so we want to remind fans that seating is on a first-come-first-served basis and there won’t be any reserved seating. I’d advise fans to get to the Convention Center well ahead of the 6 p.m. screening time.
“Everything all weekend is free and open to the public, and it’ll be a wonderful way to soak up the fun aspects of the game.”
The weekend’s schedule:
FRIDAY, AUGUST 26
• 6 p.m. — Free screening of the documentary, “Facing Nolan.” In the world of Major League Baseball no one has created a mythology like Nolan Ryan. Told from the viewpoint of the hitters who faced him and the teammates who revered him. Horner Hall.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 27
• 8:30 a.m. — Society for American Baseball Research meeting. Non-members welcome. Convention Center Room 102.
• 10 a.m. — Baseball card show opens. Fifty tables of collectibles for sale and trade. Convention Center Lobby.
• 10 a.m. — Talking Baseball with Atlanta Braves legend Dale Murphy. Horner Hall.
• 11:15 a.m. — Cardinal Baseball Update with Al “The Mad Hungarian” Hrabosky. Horner Hall.
• 1:30 p.m. — Talking Baseball with New York Yankee Chris Chambliss. Horner Hall.
• 3 p.m. — The Goose Is Loose: Part II. Straight talk with Hall of Famer Goose Gossage of the New York Yankees. Horner Hall.
• 4:30 p.m. — Ask the Pros, featuring Goose Gossage, Dale Murphy, Chris Chambliss and Al Hrabosky. Horner Hall.
For more information call Steve Arrison at 50-321-2027.